Are you currently a VMC on AWS customer looking to keep expanding your presence in the cloud this year? You may only have exactly 22 days left to purchase one last round of i3.metal hosts before they are no longer an option.
- Let me share with you a few important dates (which may still change) to keep in mind to help you better prepare:
- February 1st, 2023: End of sale (EOS) for i3.metal hosts in VMC on AWS
- August 1st, 2023: Cannot create any more 3-year i3.metal subscriptions using pre-purchased tokens/credits
- October 1st, 2023: Cannot create any more 1-year i3.metal subscriptions using pre-purchased tokens/credits
- July 31st, 2026: *Tentative based on info above* End of support for i3.metal hosts inside VMC on AWS
What does that mean? Basically you will need to migrate your current workloads to i4i.metal hosts once your current i3.metal subscriptions expire. The i4i.metal hosts are a faster, denser, cheaper option fully available today (announced during VMware Explore last year), and there are several migrations options available depending on the complexity of the environment.
Do you have small clusters with less than 6x i3.metal hosts in them? I would recommend that you purchase another 3-year subscription for those hosts before you are stuck paying more for double the resources that you may not necessarily need.
What are some of the core differences between these two types of hosts? Feel free to take a look at the chart below.
More information around the i4i.metal hosts here